CHANL is excited to announce that we are teaming up with the Art Department again for our 7th annual Scientific Art Competition! The Scientific Art Competition provides an opportunity to showcase scientific data with artistic appeal. The competition is coordinated by CHANL (Chapel Hill Analytical and Nanofabrication Laboratory) which is in the Department of Applied Physical Sciences at UNC Chapel Hill, but images do not have to be taken with CHANL equipment. This year there will be two ways to win:
Snowflake Robe By: Maria Ina and Aleksandr Zhushma Department of Chemistry – UNC
Artist’s Choice Awards
A panel of artists from UNC’s art department will select images from this year’s submissions. These images will be professionally printed and mounted and displayed on a larger scale (24″ x 30″) than what we typically display in Chapman. We’re recommending that images be ~2000 x 2000 pixels in order to be considered for this portion of the competition. The Art department will also be choosing the top three images which will be awarded cash prizes (1st place $150, 2nd place $100, and 3rd place $75).
People’s Choice Awards
Images will be displayed in the Chapman Hall Lobby and attendees of the 2015 UNC Science Expo (Saturday April 11th, 2015) will vote for their favorites.
The opening reception for 2015 Scientific Art Competition will be on Monday April 13th, 2015 from 4:00-5:00PM in the Chapman Hall Lobby. Winners of the Artist’s Choice and People’s Choice Awards will be announced at this time. Refreshments will be served.
Here are the important dates, times, and locations:
- Friday March 20th, 2015: Deadline for submissions! E-mail your submissions to Amar Kumbhar (firstname.lastname@example.org) along with this Submission Form.
- Saturday April 11th, 2015: UNC Science Expo from 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM at UNC. People’s Choice voting occurs in Chapman Hall Lobby.
- Monday April 13th, 2015: Opening reception from 4-5 PM in the Chapman Hall Lobby! People’s Choice and Artist’s Choice winners will be announced, and refreshments served.
We’re looking forward to seeing your submissions this year!
The Chapel Hill Analytical and Nanofabrication Laboratory (CHANL) was established in 2006 as part of the Institute for Advanced Materials, Nanoscience and Technology, but has since moved into the Department of Applied Physical Sciences. CHANL operates as a shared instrumentation laboratory open to UNC researchers from all departments as well as to researchers from other universities, government labs, and industry. User fees are charged for instrumentation usage to recover the cost of materials, supplies, and instrumentation maintenance.
- Provide cost-effective access to analytical and nanofabrication instrumentation that would not otherwise be available in individual research labs.
- Provide expertise and technical resources, to assist researchers in designing experimental plans, acquiring appropriate data, and interpreting data.
- Promote education by working closely with students and postdocs to provide instrument training and hands on experience.
- Foster an environment of collaborative research that extends beyond departmental boundaries.